Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Two embarrassing incidents (and three dollars worth of quarters later)

Well the first one happened Last Thursday. It was a very rainy day, and as I was going to school, I turned on the headlights in my car. When I got to school, I thought I turned off my lights, but somehow I left the parking lights on (the light switch in that car is really weird. It’s a knob that you pull out to turn the lights on and back in to turn the lights off, but if you push it back in to far it turns the parking lights on). So by the time I came back out to my car the battery was dead. I had to call my parents (with a pay phone) to come and pick jump my car.

The second embarrassing moment happened Tuesday (yes the Tuesday right after the Thursday battery incident [my Tuesday/Thursday classes must be bad luck for me]). I got to school. Went to one of my classes. Came back out to the car to drop off some of my stuff before heading off to another class, but after unlocking my car, I set the keys down on the seat, dropped off my stuff then locked and shut my door. The second I shut that door I felt my pocket for my keys. Nothing. I turned around and there they were, sitting just feet from me. How can something be so close and yet so far away? Again I had to call my parents (with a pay phone) and have them unlock my car. Yes in-between these two insidents I wasted $3 on phone calls (did you know that those stupid pay phones don’t give your money back if you reach an answering machine?)

To lay all my humiliation out before my blogging sphere I should mention that this is the second time I have locked the keys in the car. The first time was in Santa Clara California a few years ago when dad and I were on a business trip. Yes this was before I had my own keys and yes I was using dad’s keys and yes they were the only pair of keys that we had. We had to pay someone to come unlock the car for us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just hate locking yourself out? The one time I did it, was at the Costco gas station. Thankfully it was mom's day off work, so she drove out from birch bay to give me my keys. I was over an hour late to work.

Paul DeJarnette said...

lol - I've done that lock the key in the car thing - I did it at the home of a family we were visiting on Christmas day back in Oregon in 2006. That... was embarrassing. Then I did it again a couple of weeks later at church - where the same people were. AND I LEFT MY LIGHTS ON.

I don't think it's as embarrassing though as the guy we saw on a ferry who locked his car with the lights on and the keys in it and was called over the loudspeaker to come turn his lights off just moments before we docked. There must have been 10 ferry crew members trying to wrestle that car's windows down. :)

Isaacme said...

Thanks guys. Now I don't feel quite as bad.

lol Paul, that incident of the ferry sounds embarrassing.

Jeff said...

lol trevor. I can see myself doing that. one thing though that we normally have is an extra set of keys to hide underneath the car just in case we nead em. believe you me, we have needed them several times. lol. don't feel bad