Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Busy

Two friends and I where standing in a small hardware store, on a hot day, in a little nothing of a town. We laid our purchases down on the counter and waited for them to be checked out. The cashier looked down at our purchases - a bungee cord, a role of fishing string, and two for sale signs - then looked back up and us, a confused and semi wary look in her eye. As she scanned and bagged the items, she asked, “so what are you boys selling?” “Nothing,” the reply. A moment’s silence. “You boys going fishing?” “Nope.” “Did you find everything you needed?” “No, but we were already told that you didn’t have any motion detecting noise makers.” By the time we left that store I think that poor checker was wondering whether to call the police or just look at the vandalism on tomorrow’s front page. Last week I had a great time with friends over at a music camp in eastern Washington. Besides learning lots of great music and hanging out together, we had fun terrorizing the other campers. Oh, don’t worry, we told the people in charge of the camp about our pranks before we did them. Not because we were worried that they wouldn’t be allowed, but because we wanted suggestions on how to make them better. So we hung wanted posters of the line dance caller all over the school. We bungee corded a guy’s door shut [we knew this guy fairly well] and then relentlessly rang his door bell; then we put up for sale signs on his camper. We also made plans to put beware of dog signs on the restroom doors, but never had time to go through with it.

I got to fiddle camp on Sunday, got home Thursday evening. Left for our churches’ family camp on Friday morning and got home Sunday afternoon just in time to have my Aunt and Uncle from Chicago over for supper. Then it was off bright and early Monday morning for work at C.E.F. I apologize that I haven’t posted here or commented on your guys’ bogs. I’ve just been super busy.

This week we’ve had a pretty big camp. I’m not sure what today’s [Tuesday] numbers were but I believe they were higher than the 65 yesterday. Today I had 18 kids on my team; half of them have no concept of obedience. It’s been very tough knowing how to get through to these kids. No form of discipline seems to work. We take away game time, snack time, video time, still they disobey. I feel like it’s turned into a war of me against the kids and that the kids aren’t really having fun because their always getting yelled at, but yet they’re not willing to change their ways. Please pray for wisdom for me and the other leaders to be able to get through to the kids and pray also for creativity in discipline.

1 comments:

Janel said...

You are so crazy. That just sums it up "crazy"
love ya bro.