Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Knowing God’s will

Most believers want to know what God’s will is for their lives. Believers study God’s word, pray, and seek godly council to understand the will of God. While these are all great things, Romans 12:2 says that too know God’s will, we must first have God renew our minds so that we no longer conform too this world’s way of thinking. Ephesians 4:17 says …walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, being darkened in their understanding. When we go through life using our own “understanding,” and when we follow our own lusts, our path is darkened and we can no longer follow the path God has laid for us. However, if, before we seek God’s will, we seek the renewing of our mind, God promises that we will be able to test and approve what God’s will is-his good pleasing and perfect will. Once we have experienced the renewing of our mind, we shouldn’t expect to magically know God’s will instantly. It takes work. We must pray, read God’s word and seek Godly council first. But since our minds have now been renewed, we will now know what is from of the pattern of this world, and what is from God.

Note: I don’t claim any expertise on knowing the will of God. This is just my findings from studying the bible.


Renewing of the mind

+

Abstinence from the things of this world

+

Godly council

=

Finding God’s will

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am so excited that someone has posted a blog on the topic of finding God’s will!! Because I’ve been considering taking some college classes, I have been trying to find out if it really IS His will or not. Though I have not particularity thought about “renewing my mind” as a part of seeking His will, I suppose it is a natural part of the process for a maturing Christian who is really seeking His will. I have not SET OUT to renew my mind, but in wanting so desperately to know His will, I have made sure to spend time in prayer and His Word, thus refreshing myself in His Ways. I have also sought the godly council of my parents. Perhaps you distinguish the two; but I don’t think that the actions themselves can be so distinguished. The difference is perhaps the heart by which the actions are done? The goal of one being to simply get an easy answer and the goal of the other is to really DO WHATEVER GOD wants. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Off topic: the thing I am learning is that God doesn’t drop notes from the sky stating His will. I always thought that there would be some undeniable proof of God’s will on “big” decisions. I was wrong. Often there is not even a definite assurance of His will. It is the faith of the believer that is precious to God. SO, I faithfully seek God in prayer, ask for godly council, trust that God is ultimately in charge, and proceed by faith.

I have never had to make any big decisions like this before, never had to really seek God’s will. It’s been sweet to know that God is using this experience and mom’s guidance to teach me about Himself! I look forward to seeing how things play out, knowing that God is at work, and I am doing everything I can to be in His will!
Hope that all makes sense!

Thanks for letting be babble!

Isaacme said...

Nicole: Very true. God’s will is not always clear.

I didn’t mean to say that some magic renewing of the mind would all of a sudden reveal God’s will. Not at all. It’s just that we can’t know God’s will when we rooted in following after sin. I think that what Romans 12:2 is talking about is a changing of our desires from the things of this world to wanting the things of God. Once we truly want the things of God, he sometimes* reveals his will through the bible, prayer, and Godly council.

*I agree God does not always give us straightforward, tangible answers

Janel said...

Why have I never recognized you as Lizzie before when you were on my blog. I think there are a couple of lizzies so don't be surprised if you get mixed up with other people.:)

Trevor that is such a neat post. It is neat for me to see how mature God is making you to be. I don't know that I had ever truely thought about the renewing ones mind part but that is such a huge thing in folling the Lord.