Tuesday, July 10, 2007

CEF Letter

This summer God has provided the opportunity for me to work with children through week-long day-camps which are a ministry of C.E.F. [Child Evangelism Fellowship]. I first heard about C.E.F. approximately two and a half years ago when some of the youth from our church talked about the work they had done through five-day clubs that summer. Then last summer I went to a training camp to train to work in several five-day clubs. This summer I will be working in six day-camps. Unlike five-day clubs, the day camps last all day and are in churches. Most of the day-camps will be in Whatcom County, but one will be in Rockport [Skagit County].


From April 9-13 I worked with about nine other youth at a training day-camp which was like a rehearsal only we had actual children present. At the training camp, we got to see what we would be doing this summer but in a simpler format. During the day-camps children will hear Bible stories, eat snacks, complete crafts, learn to witness to other children [while hearing the basics of the gospel themselves], listen to Adventures in Odyssey [our theme this year], and play lots of games. At the camps, I will be in charge of helping a group of children complete these activities and I will also have the opportunity to occasionally teach the Bible story and memory verse.


Even though it’s not always easy, I really enjoy working with children. Christ told us that a child’s trusting spirit is an example of what our faith should look like. Because children are more open to the gospel, children’s ministry is one of the most effective ministry fields. I believe that the teen-age years of my life are a great opportunity to serve the Lord because I have fewer responsibilities to tie me down.


I would greatly appreciate your prayers this summer. Some things that I would cherish your prayers in are


1 Stamina to work the whole summer
2 Patience towards the kids and other workers
3 Guidance for situations that arise
4 Submissiveness to the Lord and to my leaders


Please also pray that God would teach me to completely rely on him.

0 comments: