Monday, March 3, 2008

Basic photography tips - part 1

Well these are just some basic tips for setting up a photograph that I put together for a presentation I have coming up in my speech class. Any tips/suggestions would be appretiated. I would especially like it if someone had a really cool idea for an intro and/or conclusion.



Tip #1 Use odd numbers of objects
Our brain is almost magically attracted to odd numbers. Whether it be points in an essay or a photograph, our appreciates odd numbers. See how much more pleasing the pic. on the top is to the eye?



Tip #2: Use the rule of thirds
This is another almost “magical” brain trick: imagine your photo divided into three sections, now use those lines that divide the sections to place your main objects in your photograph on. Notice how in the photo on the top the silhouette and first wave coming in are both placed along lines? Now not every line needs something on it, but the major elements of your photograph should be placed along one of these lines.

Now when doing face shots like the one on the bottom, your main element is the eyes, so you want to place those along one of the lines (presumably the top one).

7 comments:

Jeff said...

cool post Trevor. i agree that odd numbers are the best. i'm one of those guy that hates symetry. lol. i kinda stink at photography tho. lol. :p

Aidyn Nicole said...

cool sunset pic.

Janel said...

What have you done to my face!?! LOL

Isaacme said...

lol. sorry sis.

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I was wondering when Janel woud see that. Is she going to post a horrible pic of you on her blog now?

BTW when (not "if")she does I want to be informed so that I can see it.

Isaacme said...

Lol. I do have a really bad pic of you on here Ian.

Anonymous said...

Where on you blog is that? I haven't seen it.