Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Photography tips - Part 2

If you use a monotone voice to communicate with your friends, they’ll probably think you’re boring, likewise, if you use a boring foreground your audience will loose interest. Dave Gaffney in his book “50 tips to great outdoor images” says that "there is nothing more striking than an image with wildflowers splashed across a foreground". There are many cool effects you can use with your foreground. You can use it to draw the eye into the picture (like the example on top). Frame the picture (like the example on the bottom). Or just create something exiting in the foreground (like Dave Gaffney says).






























Would you want to talk with a person who rambles on so much you forget what his or her main point to begin with was? Of course not! Likewise you shouldn’t include so much in your photograph that your audience looses track of your main object. On his website, ethanMeleg.com, Ethan Meleg, one of Canada’s leading photographers, says that every time he takes a picture he reminds himself that “less is more” There are many instances where you can cut things out of you photo. Maybe you take a face shot instead of the whole body. Maybe you just focus on one flower (Bottom) instead of a whole field (top).

4 comments:

Isaacme said...

It was nice to get this speach done today. That was the last thing I had to do for that class, so I am able to just focus on my other classes now. WOOOT!!! only 1 week left.

Aidyn Nicole said...

I love the first picture. I have actually learned all those tips through looking at photography/picture books and from my mom who always puts flowers or other things in the foreground.
but great post

Anonymous said...

D----I----A----L
U----P
I----S
S----O
S----L----O----W
If you can read that I will be most impressed, and if you can understand it I'll be even more impressed.
BTW they are very nice pics. Did you take them Trev?
And what does "WOOOT" mean? I've heard it a couple of times and I have NO idea what it means.

Isaacme said...

lol. Yes. Dial up is slow. Yup. I took those pictures

Woot means yippy!!! Horray!!! Halelujah! ect.