Friday, March 28, 2008

A Quote from Stephen D. Eyre's book Drawing Close to God

I can even turn my own spiritual pursuits into a substitute for God. I remember spending a good part of one morning in serious study of the Scriptures. Suddenly I had a strong sense that God was sitting in a chair beside the desk. I felt a pull on my heart to put down my pen, turn to face him and just sit in quiet heartfelt worship. My response to this sense of call was irritation. I had determined that this was to be a study time. I wanted to wave away this call, grumbling, “Not now, God; can’t you see I’m studying the Bible?”

Attending church and all sorts of religious activities can have the appearance of seeking God when in fact it is another means of avoidance. Rousing worship services full of inspiring music and moving prayers are not enough to overcome this. Nor is being doctrinally correct a guarantee that we are OK. In fact, all of these can be dangerous, because they allow us to cherish the illusion that we are spiritually growing when in fact we are in spiritual darkness.


*Note: this is not an "official" recommendation of this book. I've only gotten through the second chapter

13 comments:

Isaacme said...

I believe the author as well as myself are not trying to say that church, studying the bible, and so forth are bad. Not in the least. It’s just that sometimes I find myself just gaining knowledge and not really closeness to God.

Aidyn Nicole said...

I love the, "not now can't you see that I'm studying" That's a perfect and true saying.
Don't worry so much issac, I don't think anyone would think that that's what you were saying

Anonymous said...

ARE YOU KIDDING?!? That is exactly how I took it Trev. JK. :)

Aidyn Nicole said...

Man Ian, you can never just admit that I'm right, can you?

Anonymous said...

HeHe. Oh no Aidyn you have been right before. Oh wait did i just say that your last comment was wrong? :D

Aidyn Nicole said...

JERK! jk

Isaacme said...

You two are so... mature.

Aidyn Nicole said...

Hey, what fun is it to be mature, I'm only mature if I need to be, the rest of the time I have fun. You should try it Trevor, loosin up a little

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of Aidyn's remark (not the "jerk" one). The only part I don't agree with is her spelling, you should have said "loosen".

Aidyn Nicole said...

I should have but I can't spell worth beans (does anyone know where that saying originated?).

Anonymous said...

It probably originates from someone who said they would work for food, and when the employer saw his finished work the employer coined the phrase because of the sloppy work.

Isaacme said...

hmmm... I doubt it Ian

Anonymous said...

Hey I don't hear you offering a better explanation Trev.