Monday, December 1, 2008

Another rant

Ok so I realized that it’s been a while since I’ve done a good rant and since ranting is what I’m known for I decided I’d have a good rant. My target of ranting for the day is Praise 106.5 this Christmas.

1) Let’s start with the music. A lot of it isn’t Christian. When I turn to a Christian radio station I don’t expect to hear songs about Santa Clause. I know that praise has started playing more and more non-Christian music throughout the year but it seams like they’re especially getting bad during this Christmas season.

2) Their promo clip thingy. It goes something like “We’re celebrating the reason for the season: Hope, Love, family, and faith.” It’s like did you forget faith and just decide to tack it on at the end? The reason for the season is Jesus Christ. Pure and simple.

3) Their “Drive through difference” program. When I first heard about this I thought it was an awesome idea. When going through the coffee drive through you leave enough money to pay for the person behind you as well as a little print-out poster for them. I thought “what a marvelous way to witness to people around the Holiday season.” So then I go to there website at look at the poster. Not a mention about God or Jesus. It’s all about “I just wanted to bless you and do an act of kindness for you in the Christmas spirit.” I was so ticked off.

Does this type of thing make anybody else mad?

7 comments:

Aidyn Nicole said...

well it doesn't always make me mad or angry, but I do think it is stupid!

Stormgirl said...

Ok... so I will rant and rave with you. I love Praise 106.5... I love Christmas music... and I even love music about Santa Claus. BUT, I was a little ruffled when I heard that too. They played non-christian songs last year too, but not like this. It seems like they are really trying to appeal to the non-believer in hopes of converting them through the radio.
As to the "drive through difference", I did the same exact thing. "What a marvelous idea" I thought, that is until I pulled up the website. I couldn't believe it.
I think they are losing a little bit of the reason why Christians are here on this earth and what there job is.
Lastly, I have a phrase that Pastor Steve uses... "seeker sensitive"

Isaacme said...

I agree that santa clause music isn't bad at all, what's bad is when a "Christian" radio station plays it.

Shelby said...

Well their focus is wrong. Their focus needs to be worship and our Savior! Not just getting people to listen cause it is family friendly. Although I have to admit I do like most of what they are playing. I was really disappointed though too when I read the flyer for the drive through difference. It started out even with a good lead for sharing the gospel! That was really sad.

Janel said...

yeah, it is sad. I think they have been chaning a lot over the last two years or so. I think that maybe Spirit 105.3 hasn't been changing as much (if you can get that station to come through)

Anonymous said...

Why not make your own posters? You could still do the drive-thru thingy and say something meaningful, or more meaningful, or something like that...

Jeff said...

I agree, Trevor! I realize also that it's no sin to play songs about Santa but there's nothing edifying at all about "Santa's Comin to Town!"
I also agree that 106.5 is getting more and more wishy-washy in their teaching and even their little "family-friendly" clips. We need to reach out to people with more than mere "Christmas spirit!" Most people have spirit through this season, but most don't have the Savior! Great post! I've been a little bugged as well